During my time off, we had a great travel experience and today I will share some insights of it!
To begin our trip, we stayed at the Edelweiss Lodge & Resort in Garmisch, Germany. For those stationed in Germany I will highly recommend you, to book a weekend here. The environment in this hotel is amazing! Your family will enjoy, their amenities, including indoor pool, out-door Jacuzzi, 3 restaurants, 1 gift shop, and recently added a German Traditional Clothing store. Furthermore, in the Gift shop you can book trips to different places, around Garmisch, Munich and many more. From here, we traveled to Bolzano Italy, a lovely town about 2 hours and 6 minutes from the hotel. Keep in mind that this average time is depending on the weather and road conditions. Our trip took about 3 hours because that day was snowing and the visibility was quite awful.
Now let’s get to the fun facts of Bolzano and what really brought me to this lovely town. Did you know that in Bolzano Italy, is a museum of an Iceman? Well, his name is Ötzi, and he was found in the Ötztal Alps, by two German tourist hikers.
Ötzi The Iceman Facts
- The greatest fact is that he was covered in ice and snow thousands of years, and in 1991 he was discovered. The conditions of melting ice and snow were the conspiracy to his amazing discovery.
- After this event and long periods of studies from Scientist, they had come to the conclusion that in fact he was deep frozen over 5, 300 years.
- The mummy was well preserve, and they even found accouterments and his clothing too as well.
- According to the studies made to him, he died at the age of 45, which this means he was 5 years over the average men on the age stone lifetime (men only will live until 40 years old).
- The circumstances of his death; at the beginning they thought that he died from hypothermia, and lack of food. However, years later in 2001 after a deep forensic study, and reviewing a cat scan made during his first discovery, they found a wound and they discovery an arrowhead in his left shoulder. (Ötzi battle for his life with no luck, and died on it).
- Ötzi had tattoos in his body! Yes, according to Scientist his tattoos were aligned in some parts of the body, maybe for a sort way of acupuncture.
With years of study, computers and the advances of technology, Ötzi came to live! They make a replica of him, and it is amazing the work they had made! Is like literally standing in front of him, also you can view the Iceman through a window in his refrigerated cell in a separate area, as well as is accouterments.
This is all for now, I hope you enjoy this reading and the amazing discovery of Ötzi! Even though he was discovered in 1991 and he was in national television back then, I never heard of him until now; that I had the pleasure to see him. For more information about Ötzi visit Iceman Italy this is a great experience not only for adults, children will enjoy this amazing museum too.
Documental from the History Channel Ötzi [Death of the Iceman]